44, you guys!!! Family genes in consideration, my oldest living grandparent passed at 90+ y.o., and predicting by her genes alone – I know, so many other factors to consider – I am nearly on the halfway mark of my life. Ahh, I feel so old! I wish I can impart some great knowledge; but, truly everyone’s path in life is different and we each learn the lessons we are meant to learn and use in this life in due time. Besides, if “life begins at forty”, then, I’m just a baby. Haha
Life Lessons To Impart
- “Homemaker” is a legit occupation! Please don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. No one can truly know what it means to be a homemaker and how psychologically trying it can be unless they have walked it. You know what it takes to get through the day, be proud of what you accomplish each day.
- Being a stay-at-home mom is a blessing but it sure takes a toll on the financial aspect of the household, and relationships. I, being the financial analyst in the fam, – (Wow!) – now understand why our head accountant from my previous employment looked so stressed every day when I used to work in the accounting department. The expenses never stop! It’s easy to get lost in the wave of unexpected expenses. Please don’t stop living because there is no budget to cover it. There are so many things to do for free or at minimal cost with some careful planning. A potluck or tea with friends at home enables some bonding time with “long lost” friends.
- Cancer can be defeated! It was not an easy road but it’s been 8 years since my last chemotherapy and radiation treatment. Though I was diagnosed as Stage 1, I was treated as a Stage 4 patient. I struggled, accepted that it is what it is, kept fighting and trudged on, and eventually defeated cancer. I now only see my oncologist once a year for routine blood work. Try to stay positive, your aura plays a big part in your recovery too.
- If you feel something unusual in your body, please seek a doctor’s advice and don’t stop until you get the answer. I was originally diagnosed with sciatica. After months of following doctor’s advice, medications, physical therapy sessions, a different doctor order a diagnostic scan of my spine. It turns out I have a tumor on my spine pressing on my nerve, causing the sciatica symptoms. I know, crazy, right?! I am the first to have Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in my family. Age = 35.
- Old age slows your fitness journey. The body slows down as it ages. Gone are the days I can just chill and the calories would burn itself out. Nope, my blog journey has recorded the struggles of getting fit at an “over-the-hill” age. The struggle is real. Not to mention, everything hurts and I get tired so easily. Despite the age, exercise is still a great way to stay mentally and physically fit. So, keep at it.
- Being a mother requires a lot of sacrifices, both physical and mentally, and there is no guidebook either to make it easier. It’s usually trial and error with our first born. And even if we learn from the first, our kids have such different personalities that what worked for one does not necessarily work for another. The most important thing here is that we are willing to learn and adjust. Happy Mother’s Day to all my mom friends and fam.
- Find your voice and let it be heard. As you get older, you will know more what matters most to you. Some people may or may not agree, but if it is true to you, your choices matter too, just as everyone else’s. Don’t let others stifle your growth and fire. Everyone is learning their own life lessons too.
- Own your mistakes. We all make them. Miscommunication is the cause of many “wars”, even an internal one. Please don’t let years pass before finding the root cause of an issue.
- A smile can go a long way.
- A hug says so much when words fail.
- Life is a continuous process of learning.
My gift to myself this year?
Another year of blogging, which is nearing its 1st year anniversary. I opted to not renew with my current site host and switched to a new web host to save money. I do want to continue writing and so I am going to give it another year. Not going to lie, traffic is slow; but, so far I’m learning and growing, which is more than I can ask for. I could probably benefit from writing more but life happens outside of the blogging world and finding the balance to not burn out is key. Thank you for visiting my site and reading what I have to say. I appreciate you taking the time to join me on my journey.
Along with the gift of blogging,
I am gifting myself a fitness trainer, which I will tell you more about in the following weeks. As always, I’m looking for ways to minimize the cost of staying fit. Along with exercise, I can definitely benefit from honing my eating habits to choose healthier choices, so I will be restarting a food diary just to monitor and keep me in check. A fitness trainer might be able to keep me on track with that too. I’m already feeling anxious about those Skinfold Caliper device used to measure body fat.
The gift I’m asking for from my fam?
A stand-alone hammock. I can already see myself lounging sun-kissed typing away my next blog post outside in the garden. Will I get it? I guess we will have to wait and see. I was not at all “stingy” with the hints. haha Still, whatever gift, if any, I will be most happy with. I’m pretty chill with requesting gifts, most of the time. It’s just that I’ve been really into gardening this year and a hammock in the middle of it all just feels fitting. Of course, I have to subscribe to a monthly supply of citronella to ward off mosquitoes but I’ll worry about that once I actually do get a hammock.
If you give a mom a hammock… A fire pit sounds just about the right accompaniment to a hammock. I mean, I’m already watching the stars, right?! Why not add to the mood and stay warm. Haha
What do I have planned for my birthday?
Simplicity wins for me. And because of rain and tornado warnings, we are just having a few family members over to have dinner and a movie. Theme: Italian food. Oh Italy, someday I will come visit you. Simple, no fuss, relaxed, laughter, memories – my kind of night.
Mother’s Day is tomorrow! Happy Mom’s Day to all my readers. Thank you for gifting me your support. May you have a fantastic day. Rain is forecasted this weekend here and while it’s not raining yet, traditionally we go strawberry picking every year and then make strawberry shortcake. Just in case we can’t, I have reserved a spot for a get together indoors. What are you plans this Mother’s Day?
Until next time.